Ten top tips to help you shop smart, save money and waste less
Shop smart, save money and waste less with our top ten tips!
In the midst of a busy lifestyle, here are ten top tips to help you shop smart, save money and waste less:
- Plan your meals at the start of each week.
- Make a list of ingredients, having first checked what you already have at home and how much extra you will need.
- Try not to go shopping when hungry and on the run – it is difficult to make good decisions in those circumstances, particularly if children are with you!
- Try and shop just once a week as this helps to avoid buying extra and seeing other tempting offers.
- Buy loose, where possible, as this is often cheaper and fresher, will save on single-use plastics and will also encourage you to buy only what you need.
- Don’t assume that branded is best, try non-branded varieties which are frequently just as tasty, likely to save you money and may also allow you to buy different quantities that better suit your particular needs, such as dietary requirements.
- Avoid BOGOFs (Buy One Get One Free) until you have checked that it is really a bargain, as well as something that you will use within ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ dates.
- Learn how to cook and bake new recipes using leftovers – there are many websites that can help with this, e.g. Love Food Hate Waste or Find Your Food its Perfect Match or BBC Good Food
- Enjoy leftovers for your lunch the next day – they often make a welcome and tasty change to sandwiches. Check out Pancakes aren’t just for Shrove Tuesday!
- Clean up your fridge and cupboards at least once a month, and use up the leftovers before buying more food. Remember to review use by and best before dates, and organise your storage in such a way that those that will go out of date first, are closest to hand.