Recipe - Brussels Sprouts with Cheese Scone
- 80 g Brussels sprouts (or a generous handful of other leafy greens), finely sliced
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 ml milk (you can use any kind of milk to hand)
- 2 medium or large eggs
- 40 g cheese, of any variety
- 1 splash of oil, for frying
- Grab a mixing bowl and toss in the sprouts or leafy greens. Add the flour, the bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix together. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients then add the milk and crack the eggs on top and crumble in your cheese!
- Mix together with a wooden spoon until it’s a pliable dough… but not too sticky. If it sticks to your hands, add a tablespoon of flour or If it cracks, add a splash of water.
- Flour your work top or work surface and tip the dough onto it. Knead briefly making sure to work the dough with your knuckles and palms to stretch it a little.
- Roll it out with a rolling pin or flatten it with your hands to around 2cm (1 inch) thick. Using a cookie cutter, or the top of a glass and a knife, cut scones from the dough to your preferred size.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium heat and drop in each round of dough – you may need to cook them in batches. Fry for a few minutes on each side, or until risen and golden.
- Keep the scones warm while you cook the others until you run out of dough. Serve warm.
- Enjoy -