Recipe - Bread Sauce
120g breadcrumbs – white or brown, use whatever you have
1 large white onion
A handful of cloves
1 bay leaf
1 pint of milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Peel the onion and slice it in half, then stud all over with the cloves.
- Place the onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil slowly, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns from the cooled milk, and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook gently for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the breadcrumbs have absorbed all the liquid. If the sauce is a little too thin for your liking, add more breadcrumbs to achieve your desired texture.
- Stir in the butter and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.