Recipe - Hot Cross Apple Crumble
For the crumble topping:
3 or 4 stale hot cross buns
125g soft brown sugar
125g butter, cubed
125g plain flour
For the filling:
1kg eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices
juice of half a lemon
75g soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
75g sultanas, raisins or other dried fruit
crème fraîche or ice cream to serve
1. On a chopping board, finely chop the hot cross buns and then set aside.
2. Add the butter and plain flour to a large mixing bowl. Work to combine with your fingertips, until they have a breadcrumb-like texture.
3. Add the sugar and the chopped hot cross buns and mix all ingredients together well.
4. Layer the slices of apple into a large ovenproof dish. Evenly distribute the soft brown sugar and sultanas across the layer of fruit.
5. Squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle the cinnamon.
6. Cover with the crumble topping and then transfer to a preheated oven (180c / 160c fan) for 35 - 45 minutes until you can see the fruit bubbling and the top is golden.
7. Serve with crème fraîche or ice cream.
- Enjoy -