Recipe - Barbecue Pork with Plums and Orange
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 225g carrots, peeled and diced
- 450g diced pork, such as shoulder or belly, trimmed of fat ()
- 125g tomato puree
- 40ml vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 orange, zest grated and juice squeezed
- 500g plums, halved with stone removed
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) mark 6. Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and cook the onions and carrots for about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Season the meat with black pepper, add to the pan in batches, and fry on all sides for 2-3 minutes over a hot flame.
- Mix together the orange zest and juice, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar, mustard and 400 ml of water.
- Pour this over the meat. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Take the meat out of the oven and add the sultanas or raisins and plums. Continue to cook for a further 45 minutes or until the plums have collapsed and the meat is piping hot.
- To freeze: Complete this recipe up to the end of step 5. Cool, transfer to a freezer proof container, label and freeze up to 3 months ahead.To use: Thaw overnight in the fridge, then transfer to a saucepan. Bring to the boil on the hob until the meat is piping hot.